With the average Honda Activa replacement cost coming to between $500 and $1,000 for a complete engine rebuild, the total price may not be worth the debt you will be in for the repair. Instead of an engine replacement, many motor scooter owners look towards other solutions – like an engine rebuild or selling their motor scooter to a used junk motor scooter dealer.
You may have encountered a time when your motor scooter broke down, and you didn’t know whether to pay the high repair or replacement cost, or just bite the bullet and sell your old motor scooter. In some cases, you may find that selling your motor scooter to a reputable junk dealer or refurbish shop can help you save money on the Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
However, first you need to determine if you should pay the Honda Activa engine replacement cost or just buy a new scooter. Even when something goes wrong, like engine jerking, hesitating, or bucking, it can be fixed and salvage your scooter that is in good condition. Although there is no clear-cut answer to these situations since every motor scooter is different, we will go over the pros and cons of keeping your engine and paying the Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
Honda Activa Details
The Honda Activa is a brand of scooters made by Honda Motorcycle company and Scooter India to create a powerful and comfortable scooter. There are two different Activa models available, with the cheapest model produced under the series being the Honda Activa 6G with the 109.5 cc engine. The most expensive Activa that has a higher Honda Activa engine replacement cost is the Activa 125 with the 124 cc engine.
With a country that typically uses scooters to get around in traffic and tight conditions, the Activa is one of the highest-selling scooters and vehicles in the entire country of India.
Honda Engine Specs
The engine used in the Honda Activa is the 125 cc or the 109 cc air-cooled, OHC, four stroke, and single engine options. An air-cooled engine means that it can recirculate air within the entire system, while the OHC standards for the overhead cam system engine type. With the ability to produce 7 horsepower and 8 horsepower, this motor scooter can also produce 8.74 NM of torque.
The Honda Activa scooter was first sold in the Indian market in early 2009, with a new version launched in 2014. Activa rebranded the model as Activa 125, since the engine could produce 125 cc. Today, both Activa-i and Activa 125 are sold in India along with the original Activa.
Honda Activa Awards
Despite the potentially high Honda Activa engine replacement cost, the Activa has won numerous awards throughout the years. In 2001, the Activa won the Scooter of the Year by BS Motoring, while the scooter won the same award the following year presented by Overdrive Magazine.
In 2007, the Honda Activa won the BEst automobile brand of India by Planman Media. In 2008, Honda Activa won the Scooter Customers Satisfaction No. 1 spot, and won the Scooter of the Year in 2009. 10 years later, in 2018, the Honda Activa won the Buyer’s Choice Scooter of the Year by DROOM.
Honda Activa Prices
To get an idea of how much you might spend on the Honda Activa engine replacement cost, you need to know the new and old prices of the Activa based on the current 2021 model year. The Activa 6G STD is now 66,779 Rupees, compared to a previous price of 65,892. The Activa 6G 20th Year Anniversary Edition comes to around Rs 68,299, while the Activa G6 Deluxe comes to 68,544 Rs. Lastly, the Activa 6G 20th Year Anniversary Deluxe model has a total price of around Rs 70,044.
Pros of Honda Activa Engine Replacement
As a motor scooter owner, you need to decide if it is worth it to replace the engine or buy a new motor scooter. Buying a new motor scooter may not be the right choice for you, whether it is due to monetary reasons, personal feelings about the motor scooter, or you have a lack of options when it comes to purchasing a new motor scooter in your area.
Furthermore, we will tell you a few reasons why it might be best for you to pay the hefty sum for the Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
- Firstly, it is almost always less expensive for drivers to repair a motor scooter instead of purchasing a new one.
- Even though Honda Activa engine replacement cost can be around $1,000 on the high end, it could be worth it for a motor scooter that is only slightly used and fairly new. You will be hard pressed to find a long-lasting, durable, and high-quality motor scooter for less than $1,000 when it comes to reputable motor scooters on the market.
Repair Costs Are Cheaper
- Secondly, although you may have severe engine damage like a blown motor or failed torque converter, it will cost you between $500 and $1,000 to replace this part at a dealership.
- Even with this price range, it will still not cost as much as buying a new motor scooter from a dealership. We know that $1,000 sounds like a lot of money to pay out of pocket, but keep in mind that another used motor scooter that you buy for less than 1 grand will come with its own set of issues, justifying the expense Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
- Thirdly, insurance and registration fees will add to the costs of purchasing a new motor scooter.
- Registration can even sometimes cost more per month than the fees to get the motor scooter eventually in your name. In this case, keeping the motor scooter that is already registered and insured will save you hundreds of dollars in the span of one year. For this scenario, we recommend paying for the Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
- Fourthly, a new motor scooter loses over 20% of its value every year after the first. The motor scooter that you currently own has already taken its hit in terms of depreciation – however, your new motor scooter will not. This means that it is more lucrative for you to fix up the engine problems instead of buying a bright and shiny motor scooter that will only lose value after the first 12 months.
- Fifth, you are already having engine concerns and motor scooter troubles with the motor scooter you own now – so why buy a used motor scooter that could eventually give you the same issues?
- Sometimes spending money on a new motor scooter feels like you are leaving all of your problems behind. Unfortunately, purchasing a new or used motor scooter will only prolong the engine and transmission concerns instead of dealing with them right away by paying the Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
- Lastly, you may really have a sentimental attachment to your Honda Activa and want to keep it for personal reasons. In this case when deciding whether to replace the engine or buy a new motor scooter, it would be worth it to spend a few thousand dollars on the Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
Honda Activa Engine Problems
The main concerns regarding the Activa throughout the year focus on the hefty Honda Activa engine replacement cost, window concerns, and other internal issues that can cause expensive fixes.
Honda Activa engine concerns are typically more severe, time-consuming, costly, and severe in terms of receiving immediate fixes. The top engine concerns focus on engine misfiring, excessive oil consumption, piston damage, multiple warning lights on the dashboard, premature engine failure, and oil leaking.
- One of the main concerns in the Activa deals with the engine misfiring at around 117,000 miles.
- The typical repair cost for this fix is over $2,400, with owners having to do one of these fixes – either replacing the spark plugs, fixing any vacuum leaks, inspecting the fuel injectors, or replacing the mass airflow or o2 sensors if they show error codes.
Excessive Oil Consumption
- Another concern that can lead to a high 2006 Honda Activa engine replacement cost is excessive oil consumption. If too much oil is being used, this requires more frequent oil changes, oil flushes and reduces the overall lubrication within the hot engine system.
- There are a few main causes of oil consumption. Some of the most common issues involve worn seals, broken gaskets, poor quality oil, worn-down piston rings, high oil pressure, or an old engine.
- The most common fixes for excessive oil consumption focus on replacing the worn-down parts. Replacing the seals and gaskets costs around $1,000 to $2,000, replacing the piston rings for between $1,500 and $2,500, and performing an oil flush costs between $100 and $150. Performing one of these repair jobs can lower the total 2006 Honda Activa engine replacement cost when bringing your motor scooter to a local mechanic.
Multiple Warning Lights
- If you find that your check engine light has come on the dashboard, there are various causes of this alert in your motor scooter.
- To fix the issue without spending a fortune, you can try a few quick fixes, like tightening your gas cap, reducing the speed and pressure on your motor scooter, and use the built-in diagnostic services in your motor scooter.
- However, if none of these fixes solve the problem, you are looking at a higher 2006 Honda Activa engine replacement cost. If this is the case, you will have to check the other dashboard gauges and lights for any indications of low oil pressure, overheating, and excess friction that can lead to premature engine damage.
- If you spend a lot of time driving your motor scooter, you will know that strange noises and sounds under the hood are not commonplace while driving the motor scooter. Eventually, you will become attuned to the noises it makes and hear different sounds that can cause issues.
- Before thinking about what to do after paying the Honda Activa engine replacement cost, you need to know how to prevent the issues before they even start.
- If your engine is making loud noises, like squealing and whistling, this is a clear sign that the fan belt has broken down and deteriorated over time. When the fan belt loosens and wears down, the belt will stop moving at the right pace when the pulleys control it.
- The high pitched noise can be fixed by tightening the parts, lowering the overallHonda Activa engine replacement cost.
- If you notice the signs of premature engine failure in your Honda Activa, unfortunately, it's already too late to prevent your engine from having serious damage.
- One of the most common causes of engine failure is improper lubrication. Even if you frequently change your oil, if you don’t inspect other parts for lack of lubrication and oil, you can end up needing a new engine before the projected lifespan is up.
- In addition, overheating in the engine system can lead to premature failure. This typically happens because a coolant leak can cause a radiator, hose, or other parts to overheat and cause excess friction. You must flush your cooling system regularly to prevent a high Honda Activa engine replacement cost and premature engine failure.
- Lastly, the final main cause of engine failure is detonation. Internal combustion inside the engine is normal, but abnormal combustion at a high rate that produces excessive heat can cause knocking, losing exhaust gas, and imbalances in the air and fuel mixture. If you find this is the case, you can expect a higher Honda Activa engine replacement cost.
How much does an engine replacement cost?
When finding out how much an engine replacement costs, you need to take into account the make, model, and year of your motor scooter. Although it differs between models, you can still expect to spend over $500 for a replacement. In some cases, engine replacement’s total cost will cost the driver around $1,000 for parts and labor.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, spending a few hundred dollars on the Honda Activa engine replacement cost can help you prevent any further issues in your motor scooter! Are you on a mission of junk cars for cash New York City? We have the perfect solution for you! Are you on a mission of junk cars for cash New York City? We have the perfect solution for you!