“How do I sell my car to a junkyard?” “How much does a junkyard pay for a car?” Have these questions as well as others been swirling in your head causing you sleepless nights and stress?
Selling your car to a junkyard may be profitable for you, but it’s a topic worth exploring. Finding a trustworthy and reputable scrapyard or junkyard or near you can be frustrating and time-consuming.
Furthermore, you could find that you spend more money than you hoped, instead of making money.
Salvage yards and junkyards may end up giving you more of a headache than cash for your scrap or junk car.
Many times, you’ll find that these places buy cars for the lowest price possible. This leaves you wondering if you just got swindled, scammed and even taken advantage of.
But many times, selling your car to a junkyard can put some fast cash in your pocket and rid you of that heaping metal eyesore that you’ve been stuck with for such a long time.
So, today, let’s explore the benefits and hardships of selling your car to a junkyard, as you look to answer such nagging questions as, “How can I get the most money for my junk car?” and “Can I sell my car to a junkyard without the title?”
Benefits to Selling Your Car to a Junkyard
We’re here to keep it 100% with you and share with you some of the benefits of selling your car to a junkyard. So, what are they?
- A junkyard will pay you cash. If you’re looking for quick cash for an emergency expense or for some other reason, you can get cash quickly for a junk car. But be cautioned. There are lots of requirements that a junkyard would make in order to pay you cash for your car. For example, if you don’t own the car free and clear and can’t present a clean title, then you may not get the money you hoped for. But if you do, then chances are that the junkyard you want to buy your car and will offer you cash fast.
- A junkyard doesn’t discriminate. Whether your car is a two-year-old sedan with no engine, or a 12-year-old van, chances are you can sell it to them. Once they have it, they can pick it apart and get some great parts to either use, or resell.
- A junkyard is fast. When you take your junk car to a junkyard, you won’t spending lots of time in there. They will look your car over and get you out of there with some money in your pocket fast. So, chances are, you will be in and out of a junkyard and money in your hands, quickly!
How Do I Sell My Car to a Junkyard?
OK, so you have settled on selling your car to a junkyard, and now is the time to get it sold and money in your wallet. So, how do you do it? Check out our tips below that you may find helpful.
- Make a list and “check it twice”. First, get on the Internet and create a list of junkyards that are within a 15-20-mile radius of your home or location. Write down the names, owners and phone numbers of the junkyards. If they have a website, bookmark it on your computer. Keep a list and check it for accuracy. Many times, you may find that junkyards have a phone number or an email listed online, but neither doesn’t work.
- Share specs of your car. Now that you have a list of junkyards you want to call, take the time to write or type out the specs of your car. For example, if the car is running or not, write that down. Additionally, you want to have the year, make and model of the car. Look on the side door of the car and copy the VIN or Vehicle Identification Number down. Be sure you do this accurately. Those VIN numbers are long as you know what! Be sure to share if the car has any trim on it too. Have these items written down on a sheet, so you can read them off to each junkyard owner you talk to.
- Get your offers. Once you have spoken to at least five of the junkyards on your list, write down each offer the junkyard owner made you. So, if “Acme Junkyard” down the street is offering you $500, then jot that down. If “ABC Junkyard” is offering you $700, you want to write that down as well. Your list can easily become a chart of sorts. Keep your information detailed and accurate.
- Compare. Now that you have spoken to some junkyards and gotten some offers, you have to compare prices. You’ll definitely want to do this if your vehicle isn’t running. If you have a car you can drive, then you can deliver it to the owner and you will have no towing fees. But, if you don’t, then you have to factor in those towing costs. And towing a car is not cheap! If you have to rent a tow truck, you have to factor in that as an additional cost. In fact, it may even make sense to call some tow companies and get some prices on towing just as you are getting prices on your junk car!
- Prep the car. Be sure to remove any money, coins and other personal as well as valuables out of the car before you take it or tow it to the junkyard. You don’t want Grandma’s pendant in the hands of “Bubba” of “ABC Junkyard”, do you?
How Much Does A Junkyard Pay For A Car?
Your car’s year, make, model and condition will be the factors that determine how much money you’ll get from the junkyard. Additionally, junkyards take into account if the car is running or not. You can even ask what a junkyard looks for, in the vehicles they choose to buy. So, speak up and ask!
How Can I Get The Most Money For My Junk Car?
Now that you’ve made the decision to junk your car, it’s important to get the most money from the sale. But how do you do that?
Assess your car’s condition. Be sure to take the time to assess the condition of your vehicle. Once you do this, it will help to determine what you should do about selling it. Perhaps you may think twice about selling it to a junkyard. But it’s always good to have options.
If you have a relatively new vehicle that’s in decent shape, you might be able to obtain a significant amount of money by selling it to a private dealership or even a private buyer. If it runs quite well but has some issues, you may want to check its value against the Kelley Blue Book to get a general idea.
There’s also Craigslist you can use to compare your car to similar ones being sold there!
Examine the working parts of the car. Even though your car may not be a “prize”, there still may be parts that are in good working condition. So, evaluate them.
Before simply selling your car for junk or scrap, consider selling those working parts for some cash. Lots of car parts are easy to remove from a car, and sell yourself!
Work with a trustworthy company. It’s an unfortunate but true fact. Lots of scrap yards and junkyards only have one thing in mind: to scam you of your money. In today’s day and age, you have to be watchful of folks who are looking to make a quick buck at your expense. This could come in the ways of fees that are so bogus, that you’ve never even heard of them in life!
Can I Sell My Car to A Junkyard Without the Title?
Many individuals look to junk a car without the car title. It is recommended that you have your car title on you once you decide to junk a car. If you are able to get a duplicate car title, then you may want to get that. Sure, it could take you some time and cost you a few dollars, but it’s worth it in the long run!
For just about all junk car sales, proof of vehicle ownership is established by the vehicle owner having a vehicle title. All junkyards accept an owner’s title as proof of vehicle ownership.
If you don’t have the title, you need to inform the junkyard of this. Ask if they accept other forms of documentation that establish proof of ownership.
You may find that junkyards may accept:
- An auction sales receipt
- A Car registration
- A Storage lien
- Mechanic’s lien
- Repossession affidavit
It’s best to find out what the junkyard will accept as proof of ownership before selling your car. You want a smooth sale and no hassles. So, come prepared!
How About Selling Your Car to Cash Cars Buyer?
Now that we’ve explored the various options, we would like to share why selling your junk car to a junkyard should be your last resort.
When you talk about “selling” your car to a junkyard, you’re talking the least rewarding and least profitable way to sell a car . In fact, selling your car to a junkyard, should be reserved for a car that has little to no hope.
You call a junkyard; you speak with an owner. Then you discuss your car. Once you’re done, he or she will come inspect your car and if they want it, they’ll pick it up. Another scenario is one that costs you money. You have to bring the car to them. So, if your car can be driven, you have to drive it there. If not, you have to pay to have it towed there, which costs you money.
If you’re lucky, you’ll see a few hundred dollars of cash. But when it’s all said and done, how much money did you really make?
Sure, you may have $100-$200 dollars for your used vehicle, but how much did you pay to have it towed to the junkyard? Granted, the price you get will vary for your car. The final offer you are given for your car will be based on vehicle’s make, year, model, condition, size, weight and the mileage. But in the end, was it really worth it?
In addition to the low price you’ll get for your car at a junkyard, you have to watch for scam artists. Just one look at your local nightly newscasts and other outlets will showcase the number of shysters that work in junkyards. They operate “fly-by-night” operations and make off with hundreds of dollars from people.
They’re literally “here today and gone tomorrow”, having scammed you and others!
Why go through this type of trouble when you can sell your car to Cash Cars Buyer? We offer:
- Top dollar!
- An instant offer!
- Cash on the spot!
- Free junk car removal!
- Local personalized service!
- Safe, secure and private transactions!
So, instead of selling your car to a junk yard and putting up with hassles and -stress, sell your car to us! We take the guesswork out of the cash offer you’ll get as well as much more! 844-663-7286! Call us today for the cash you need tomorrow!