If you’re looking at selling a car in Ohio, then prepare for what the “Buckeye State” requests of you! From paperwork, to laws, selling a car in Ohio can be a time-consuming task but it shouldn’t be!
Regardless of the age or condition of your vehicle, you can confidently stand with an outcome of a successful sale when all is said and done! You have taken on a very important job Now, it’s time to go to work to sell your car.
And if you find that you have a particular or an unusual case about your car selling situation, visit the Ohio BMV today!
Make sure that you have a plan of action to sell your car. Check out our guide to selling a car in Ohio and happy selling!
Buying & Titling a Vehicle
As the seller, you must fill out the “assignment of ownership” area on the back of the title. This includes the following:
- The purchase price of the vehicle
- Buyers’ details and information
- Date of transfer
- Current mileage. You must complete this with either a deputy clerk or notary public present. The deputy clerk or notary public will verify all areas of the form.
- They will then witness the seller’s signature and notarize the document.
It is important to note that before completing the title transfer, both the transferor and transferee must verify the accuracy of the odometer listing as well as all other details, on the certificate of title. If there are any alterations or omissions this may void your title.
Ownership of the vehicle must be in the transferor or the seller’s name, until the title has been transferred completely to the transferee or the buyer’s name.
Then, a new title is issued with the new owner.
Additional points to note:
- The buyer must pay sales and use tax on the purchase price of the vehicle.
- All Vehicle and car title transfers must take place within 30 days of the date of sale. If not, a late fee will be assessed by the state of Ohio.
- In the case of dual ownership, both parties must be present, unless a notarized power of attorney is provided.
- All parties must also state Social Security numbers Photocopies of a vehicle title are not accepted.
- For the choice of a 45-day temporary tag you must get that document before the transfer of the vehicle title into the new owner’s name.
- Once an Ohio title is established, the owner will have to buy permanent Ohio license plates.
- In the case of a lien holder, indicate such in the assignment portion of the title. There is a fee that must be paid for this as well.
Documents Needed to Bring to the Title Office
- The original title assigned to the buyer.
- Application(s) for Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle which is form BMV 3774)
- Money for title fees, including a lien holder notation if this is applicable.
- Valid, current and acceptable identification. The County Clerk of Courts Title Office for can assist with what is considered acceptable forms of ID.
- Sales tax on the purchase price. It is important to note that the sales tax rates vary by county. Click here for current rates.
- For out-of-state titles only, there must be an out-of-state vehicle identification number or VIN inspection. You can obtain one at any (VIN) inspection Ohio deputy registrar license agency.
Selling a Used Car in Ohio
Looking to sell a used car? Check out what needs to be taken care of:
To sell a used car in Ohio, you must perform a title transfer. Although the buyer is responsible for transferring the title, you as the seller must sign the existing title and make sure the buyer signs it too. This should be done in front of a notary public.
As the seller, you need to fill out the details on the back of the title, after the sale is finalized. Please be sure to have the correct name and address of the buyer. Any errors, and you’ll have to begin again and apply for another vehicle title transfer.
While filling out the back of the vehicle title and preparing it for transfer, you are required to list the amount you have sold the car for.
You also have to list the car’s odometer reading. Like with any official business, it’s a good idea to make photocopies for yourself and keep them in a safe place in your home.
Although an Ohio car does not have to produce a vehicle registration to show the buyer, it may help with the purchase of your car.
With a valid registration you’re showing the buyer that the license plate is authentic. This build a good trust between the car seller and buyer.
Bill of Sale
According to Ohio law, you must produce a bill of sale when selling your used vehicle. Your bill of sale is important because it proves that you have transferred ownership to another person.
A good and thorough bill of sale includes:
- The date of sale.
- The exact sale price.
- A valid odometer reading.
- And the address of both you and the buyer.
Once you give the original to the car buyer, it’s good to have a copy for yourself.
Need a Duplicate Car Title?
If you need a duplicate car title here in Ohio, you should visit your local title office. Make sure that you have a valid government issued ID such as a driver’s license or a picture ID.
If there is dual ownership involved, both parties must be present unless a notarized power of attorney is provided. Don’t forget the fees that apply too!
Made a Mistake on the Car Title?
If an error is made on the car title, please don’t try to fix it. In many cases, a car seller can correct an error made on a car title by completing a sworn affidavit of correction; but there are times that the car title may have to be replaced. Click here for more information or you can call 614-525-3090 to get some assistance.
Selling Your Car
Check out various ways you can sell your car successfully!
Selling a Used Car Online
Chances are, you have been to such sites as Facebook, Twitter and Craigslist. There are lots of ads on these platforms and for the serious car seller, they may prove to be a viable option.
The first thing you will need to do, to sell your car online, is take pictures of your car. Make sure that they are clear, sharp and you have enough of them.
Secondly, you’ll have to write a great ad about your car. You can include the best points about the car in the ad. For example, if the mats are new, you may want to let potential buyers know about that. If the car as low mileage, you may want include that as well.
Your car must look attractive to a large scope of buyers so let your car be an asset that folks can’t live without!
Selling Your Car Privately
Once you sell your car privately, make sure that it is cleaned both in and out. A great wash and wax of the exterior will do wonders for your car!
You may also wish to vacuum as well as shampoo the carpets and mats in the car. This will give it a “semi-new car feel”.
Thirdly, make sure that you take care of any and every dent or “ding” in the car. If you don’t be sure to let buyers know of may small (or even large!) damages, dents and blemishes on the car.
Make sure that you position your car in an area on your property that allows the car to be seen from as many angles as it can be viewed.
Your used car has to have appeal at all times. So, if it rains or snows, try to clean after the event, ensuring your car looks as pristine as possible.
What’s the Fastest Way to Sell a Car?
Cash Cars Buyer is the premier car selling company, offering quick cash for your used car!
Sell Your Car in Three Easy Steps!
Check out how easy it is to sell us your car!
- Enter your car’s information. We offer used car sellers, access to our used car assessor tool. This allows you to get an instant offer on your used car. All you have to do, is enter your car’s information including its make, model and year. Then continue on with the location of your car. Be sure to let us know you have the car title too! Once complete, you’ll have an instant offer on your used car!
- Accept your offer. Once you, have your instant offer, you can now accept the offer. When you do, we will schedule a time and date to come to your location to see your wonderful used car!
- Accept your money! When we come to inspect your car, and all is well, we will provide you with cash!
When selling a used car you must follow all Ohio rules and regulations. And if your sale brings to Cash Cars Buyer, we thank you in advance for your business! 844-663-7286!