“Junk My Car Near Me” is a phrase that you have been stating to yourself for some time now. You have no idea where to junk your car or even how to do it.
Here, we will offer you some great tips on how you can junk your car and make some great money in the process.
From tips on what to avoid, to visiting local junkyards we can help!
Junk My Car for Cash Near Me
Now that you have decided to junk your car locally, there are some matters that you need to make sure that you take care of. Check out our “to do list”, as you prepare to junk your car where you live!
- Be sure to remove all personal items from your car. Be sure to take the time to comb your car for personal belongings. We all use our cars as storage facilities and for personal use. From makeup, to tissues and other personal items, we make our cars our home. So, when you decide to junk your car, make sure that you take the time to remove those personal items. You’ll be surprised at the amount of “stuff” you have in there!
- Get that title and other paperwork in order. First and foremost, be sure that you have the title to your car. If you don’t, you must go to your local DMV, OMV or department of motor vehicle office to get a duplicate one. In most states, you cannot sell a junk car without the car title. If you cannot get a duplicate title, try to have the car registration as well as a driver’s license. These two items show proof of ownership.
- Evaluate your car. Now that you have paperwork in order, you want to take the time to evaluate your car. What works on the car and what doesn’t? What damages are on the car? Was the car involved in an accident? You may need to ask a mechanic or a collision auto shop expert to help you.
- Make a list of local places that will junk your car. Since you are junking your car near you, the time to make a list of local places that buy junk cars is now. The Internet is a great way to see where you can junk your car. Once you have some sound businesses, write their phone numbers down and begin calling!
- Visit places and do comparative selling. Once you have the places you want to visit, call and begin selling your car! Are you selling your car as is, or are you selling the parts in your car? Additionally, you want to make sure that you sell your car and compare prices you get. Who is offering you great deals on your car? Who is offering great prices on your car’s parts? Write those prices down and compare them as a whole.
- Make the sale! Once you have narrowed down the places you would like to junk your car and you have some prices from a few of those places, the time to make that sale is now! You want to make sure you are doing business with a reputable company. And be sure that you get a great deal for your car or its parts, whichever you are selling.
Junk My Car for Money Near Me – Junk Your Car By Weight
Another option to getting great money for your junk car, is to junk it by weight. While this takes having a knowledge of the current prices of metal, it can be done.
The condition of your car is one of the first things that a junk car dealer will think about.
When your car is delivered to a junk yard or a scrap metal dealer, they place the car on a scale. Then, that junk car’s weight is used to calculate your payment after certain fees are deducted. Check out some tips we’re offering, for getting the best deal on your junk car!
- Do some comparative shopping and be sure to shop for the scrap dealers who have the lowest fees.
- Stay current on prices of metal. Make sure that you always know the current market value and published price for metals for that given day. The prices are bound to go up and down. iScrapp for example, is a great tool that publishes the current prices of metal.
- Thirdly know and understand your car’s curb weight before negotiating a flat-rate price for your scrap metal. You must know how much your car weighs without passengers, the driver and cargo. The answer lies in the curb weight.
- Also, be in a position that you can verify the accuracy of the scrap dealer’s scale. You may even want to stand on the scale yourself. If the scale is accurate within a couple of pounds, then you have an honest scrap dealer. But if you know that you weigh about 150 pounds but the junk car dealer’s scale says that you’re 90 pounds, then it’s time to move on; this is likely a scam.
- Be sure that you get price quotes in pounds and that you are paid for every pound of your vehicle. Lots of scrap metal dealers have been known to use alternative weight measures such as gross tons. When they use those methods, you are generally the one who loses money.
Can I Sell My Sell My Junk Car For $500 Near Me?
Lots depends on the value of your junk car and if you will see $500 from the sale of it. No matter if you go to a junkyard or a scrapyard, there are some factors car buyers look at.
First, your car’s year, make and model will be evaluated. Then, the dealer will see if the car runs or not.
Next, the dealer will move on to check the parts of the car. They will be thinking “how much money can I make off the car?” As you look to make your $500.
So, getting $500 for your car is not always probable; but, it’s not impossible. The ultimate factor is the condition of your car.
Selling My Junk Car Near Me – Private Sales
Perhaps you’ve been thinking of selling your car privately. This may prove to be a viable option, but there are some guidelines that we recommend following.
- Decide if you are selling your car as a whole car or the car’s parts.
- Make sure that you position your car in a place that will attract lots of buyers and attention. For example, if certain local ordinances allow you to park the car in the front of your home, you can do that. Or if you can place the car in your driveway, do so!
- Have a sheet ready to give buyers, that allows them to see the specs of your car. Your sheet will also keep you from sounding like a “broken record.” For example, make a flyer that has your name on it and contact number. Then below, have the car’s year, make and model. Then be sure that you include the mileage on the car. You want to have the basics of your car typed up for buyers, so that they can know what they are buying.
- Don’t forget to have the car title. No one wants to buy a junk car without the car title. And if you cannot find the original one, then make plans to go to your local department of motor vehicles and get a duplicate one. You want your buyer to feel comfortable with the purchase of your junk car. Having the proper documentation is one way of doing this.
- Honesty is always the best policy. When a buyer asks something specific about your car, you want to be honest with him or her. Just because your car has damage, doesn’t mean it wont sell. Lots of people buy cars with dent damage and other issues. So, be as honest, trustworthy and straightforward with buyers as you can be. You’ll save yourself lots of headaches to come!
Mistakes to Avoid When Junking a Car
Now that you know how to prepare for your car’s sale, check out some common pitfalls to avoid during the sale of your junk car.
- Make sure you have cash in your hand! Once you sell your car, do not sign over your title unless you have money or a check in your hands! You should not have to listen to any excuses from the junk car buyer, as to why your payment is delayed. No money, no car! It’s as simple as that!
- Are you paying to have your junk car towed? Did you have to pay to have your car towed? You shouldn’t. If the place you are selling your car doesn’t offer free towing, move on!
- No business licenses. If you are selling your car to a company and they do not have a business license or the correct state documentation, then you need to run the other way! There is no excuse for a car buying company not to have a license. No license? No sale of your car!