It’s time to say goodbye to your clunker, and now you’re looking for a junk car pick up company that will buy your run-down car for cash. If this is your first time junking a car, you’ve come to the right place.
Junking or scrapping your car does not have to be a complicated and time-consuming process. Here’s a complete guide on what to do when you decide to have your car pick up by a junk car buyer.
What To Do Before Your Car Pick Up Date
- Take Out Personal Belongings – We spend lots of time in our car, and as years go by, the stuff we’ve taken along for trips add up. When selling your car to the junk car buyer, it’s your responsibility to remove all your personal belongings, before the scheduled car pick up.
Leaving some items inside the car may cause issues with the transaction. This is why it’s
important to go through your car and take out all your personal stuff. Make sure to check these places:
- Door pockets
- Overhead console
- Rear seat console
- Glove compartment
- Other storage areas: rear deck, dashboard, armrests, trunk/cargo area, etc.
- CD player (take out all your CDs)
- Under the floor of the trunk
- Under the seats
- Under the floor mats
- Sun visors
- Between the seat bottoms and backs
Most items you’ll find may be trash, but there are items that you would not want to leave in your car when you junk it. Personal documents such as credit card receipts and registration documents should be removed and shredded to avoid identity theft.
- Get Your Paperwork in Order Before Car Pick Up – It’s important to have a valid car title to the car as proof of ownership in order for you to get cash for clunkers. Without a title, the selling process is more complicated and harder.
Be careful of a junkyard that does not bother to check if you have a title in hand. If you fail to transfer ownership of the car to the junkyard, you might suffer liabilities since you technically still own it, despite having the car pick up.
The only exception for the need to present a valid title is if the state where you reside puts a limit on the need for a title if the vehicle is over a certain age. It’s always best to inquire with the local department of motor vehicles if you’re uncertain about regulations.
What if you don’t have the title? You might ask, “can I junk my car without a title?” The answer depends on your state’s laws when it comes to transferring a junk car. Check the DMV website of your state to find out the requirements to junk your car.
Some states may allow you to junk a car without a title. You will just have to present an old vehicle registration and your driver’s license. You can also easily obtain a duplicate title or a copy of the current registration from the DMV of your state.
- Assess Your Car – Knowing your car’s condition will give you a good idea of how much it is worth. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the car drivable?
- Are there any valuable parts, meaning those are in still good condition, that could be resold (tires, alternator, etc.)?
- Are any parts of the car seriously damaged (such as major body damage due to an accident, or a blown transmission or engine)?
Jot down your answers, and mention them when you contact the salvage yards and auto recyclers for price quotes. Offer to send pictures to the potential dealer who’ll buy your junk car.
How Much Cash Can You Get When You Have Your Car Pick Up By A Junk Car Buyer
The value of your junk car is mainly based on its metal content. The metals from your car can be recycled and reused to make a wide range of items, such as new car parts. In general, the more metal your car has, the more it is worth as scrap. An average car has 2,400 pounds of steel and 300 pounds of aluminum.
Your car may have more value beyond its metal worth on the scrap market. It may have some valuable parts that can be taken out and resold on the secondary market. This is the business of auto recyclers. They will buy your car based on its scrap value and the value of its parts.
There is a good market for used parts of popular car models that have been sold for many years. If the mechanical parts, interior parts, and body parts are in decent condition, they can still be sold. This is also applicable to luxury brand cars whose new parts are expensive.
If your car matches one of these profiles, make sure to include auto recyclers when calling for quotes. Be sure to include your car’s reusable parts as part of price negotiations.
Have All Of the Needed Information When Shopping For A Junk Car Pick Up Company
You need to have all the relevant information in hand when shopping for the best price for your junk car. This way, you can easily provide all information to the prospective buyers. Make sure to have the following information:
- VIN – Vehicle Identification Number
- Year, make, and model or your car
- Your car’s exterior, interior, and mechanical condition (including problem areas)
- Current mileage
- Is your car in running condition?
- Is your car in towable condition?
You should disclose if your transmission has blown or the car body is severely damaged (or anything like that). This is important when you are dealing with an auto recycler who will buy your car for its parts. Major parts that aren’t in decent condition to be resold will affect the price you will get.
But if you are selling your car for solely its scrap value, this won’t matter as much. Nonetheless, you should still be honest about the real condition of your car.
When taking photos of your car, make sure to do it after washing. You would want to make it look as presentable as possible. Include shots of the interior, the exterior, and under the hood. This way, buyers can set proper expectations.
How To Find The Right Junk Car Buyer To Have Your Car Pick Up
Despite being a junk car, you’d still want to find the right buyer for it. Here are some tips to help you find the right junk car buyer:
- Research online. You can start by doing an online search for junk car buyers plus your location. Lots of companies will pop up. Check for customer ratings and reviews.
- Get quotes. Ideally, you should contact as many junkyards and auto recyclers as you can to get the best estimates. You can even get a free instant online offer from their websites.
- Negotiate the best possible deal. This is where the notes you get from assessing your car’s condition comes in handy. Use this information to negotiate a better price. Highlight parts that are still in good or decent condition.
- Create a list of the prices offered. Ensure that any offered price already includes a tow truck for the car pick up, especially if your car is not drivable. If the car is still drivable, you may want to get a few extra bucks back later by offering to drive the car by yourself to the junkyard.
Now that you are able to get quotes and have done negotiations, you can now choose the right buyer that will give you the best price for your clunker.
Word of Caution When Choosing A Junk Car Buyer To Have Your Car Pick Up
The majority of places that buy junk cars are reputable, but as in any business, there are always some scammers that may try to cheat you. Beware of junk car dealers who are doing the following:
- Car pick up is avoided in the price discussion – Sketchy outfits will avoid any discussion of whether towing is included in the price they’ll pay you. The reason is they will add it as an additional (and very pricey) charge when they come to tow your car away.
Be sure to tell the company that the quote should include towing and then confirm. If they can’t give you the quote with the towing included, walk away. Remember other junk car buyers like Cash Cars Buyers even offer free car pick up.
- Bait and switch – The deal you agreed on suddenly changes the day your car is going to be hauled away, and the change is in their favor. Usually, the tow truck driver will do some inspection and say your car is not worth the original price agreed on. When this happens, call off the deal.
- Payment is delayed – Never allow your junk car pick up before you are paid the correct amount. A lot can go wrong if you give them your car without being properly compensated. For example, they can charge you not only for the two but also for storing your car while you dispute the price.
- The car has no value – Never deal with buyers who tell you that your car has no value, but they will tow it away for you for free. This is nothing but a lie. Remember the metal in your car will automatically have a value as scrap regardless of your car’s condition.
As mentioned previously, be wary of companies that will not care about transferring the car title. Do not deal with unlicensed junk car dealers or with ones who offer too-good-to-be-true discounts and prizes. Follow this guide to get the most cash for your junk car.