The pandemic and the world’s economic struggle today made people become more cautious of their finances. Many are more open to saving, reusing, or recycling than splurging on new things. When it comes to buying cars, studies say that many people are now choosing to buy used cars than buying brand new ones. But looking at the best 2020 cars to find on any used car lot can be very tricky.
When buying used cars, you need to check how it was driven and maintained and you also have to be aware of the models that hold their value more than the others. A used car lot can be a minefield if you are not careful. Here is our list for the best 2020 cars to find on any used car lot to help you search for a car that is perfect for you.
Best Used Cars Under $15,000
- 2016 Toyota Camry – This is one of the most affordable midsize cars in its class. A used 2016 Toyota Camry is a great car to have because of its reliability, high safety ratings, impressive use of technologies for safety, and its overall quality and performance. It has two engine options – a four-cylinder that makes 178 horsepower and a V6 that makes 268 horsepower. All 2016 Camry models come standard with six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. All its models also have a long list of active safety features such as the Smart Stop Technology brake-override system.
- 2016 Chevrolet Impala – This large sedan has been named the 2016 Best Large Car for the Money and 2016 Best Large Car for Families on various car websites. It provides a smooth ride, a spacious cabin, and lots of available features. It also has excellent crash test scores and safety scores. The 2016 Chevrolet Impala comes standard with a 196-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and an available 305-horsepower 3.6-liter V6.
- 2015 Honda Accord – This midsize car is also one of the affordable cars in its category. It has a good gas mileage, upscale interior, and a spacious cabin. Its base model is powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 185 horsepower. The 2015 Honda Accord comes standard with four-wheel disc brakes that include an Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist, plus stability control, hill start assist, and a rearview camera.
- 2016 Hyundai Sonata – This seventh generation Sonata sports a more conservative and more composed look. Its base trim is equipped with a185 horsepower 2.4-liter inline-4 engine. Hyundai marketed it as a midsize car but the EPA technically defined it as a large car. Its space is its strength. The front seats can accommodate a tall driver and passenger. It offers a smooth, comfortable ride even on bumpy surfaces. Overall, it is a great used car that is worthy of your consideration.
- 2015 Nissan Altima – This four-door midsize sedan comes standard with a 182-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder coupled with a continuously variable transmission. It has been commended for its combination of quick acceleration and an excellent gas economy. It is a great used car thanks to its awesome driving dynamics and its impressive drive control. The 2015 Nissan Altima is also capable of muting out almost all road noises. You can trust it to give you and your family a quiet and a comfortable ride.
- 2015 Honda Civic – This compact car is equipped with a 143-horsepower four-cylinder engine which is pretty decent for daily commuting. The 2015 Honda Civic is known to have one of the nicest interiors in its class. Its interior is made with high-quality materials and its doors are added with soundproofing along with its floor, dash, and rear tray. The 2015 model has also been named the Top Safety Pick by the IIHS. Its standard safety features include a rearview camera, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning systems.
Best Used Two-Rows SUVs Under $15,000
- 2015 Toyota Venza – The 2015 Toyota Venza is equipped with a 182-hp 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with an optional 268-hp V-6, both paired to a six-speed automatic transmission The Venza’s styling looks somewhere between a hatchback and a tall station wagon. When it comes to safety, the Venza has it covered with its seven airbags, electronic stability control, anti-lock brakes, and a rearview camera.
- 2014 Honda CR-V – The Honda CR-V is one of the most affordable compact SUVs in its class. No wonder why it is included in our list of best cars to find on any used car lot for 2020. Its scores on rankings and reviews in terms of safety, affordability, and reliability are consistently high. It is built with a 2.4-liter i-VTEC in-line four-cylinder engine. It offers safe handling, smooth shifts, and a well-composed drive. The CR-V has a roomy interior that allows five people to sit comfortably. Its seat-folding arrangement is impressive as well as its low cargo floor. It is an excellent family car.
- 2014 Toyota RAV4 – The 2014 Toyota RAV4 is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 176 horsepower and is coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission with sport-shift mode. It rides lower, has a well-weighted electric power steering and a fine sense of center. Its base trim comes standard with a lot of useful features. As for its safety, it is equipped with eight airbags, bluetooth hands-free interface, and a rearview camera.
- 2015 Ford Edge – This 2nd generation Ford Edge has a more athletic styling and performance compared to the first generations Edge. Its base engine is the Ford’s 2.0L EcoBoost that makes 245 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. There is also an available 280-horsepower V6 and a 315-horsepower twin-turbocharged V6 which is standard for its Sport trim. A six-speed automatic comes standard on all Edge models. It offers precise steering and great handling. It also has a good fuel mileage and it comes with lots of safety technology and features.
- 2016 Mazda CX-5 – This compact crossover is one of the highest-ranked vehicles in its class. Most used 2016 Mazda CX-5 is powered by a 184-hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder and mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. It is one of the best-driving crossovers in its category. It provides direct steering, responsive brakes, and flat cornering. As for its comfort and quality, the CX-5 takes pride in its high quality seats and impressive cabin that can accommodate tall passengers. The CX-5 also boasts SkyActiv body structure that ensures the safety of its passengers.
- 2017 Nissan Rogue – This compact SUV is one of the affordable vehicles in its class. It is powered by a 2.5-liter inline-4 coupled with a continuously variable transmission. It offers a soft and comfortable ride that can operate effortlessly on curved and twisty roads. It is also fuel efficient with estimates of 26 mpg city and 33 mpg on the highway. The 2017 Nissan Rogue has also been awarded with an IIHS' Top Safety Pick+. It comes with standard curtain airbags, stability control, tire pressure monitors, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warnings, and rear cross-traffic alert.
Best Used Compact Cars Under $20,000
- 2019 Mazda 3 – The fully-redesigned 2019 Mazda 3 makes a very good used compact car. It is equipped with a 2.5-liter inline-four that creates 186 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 186 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm. It comes with a standard six-speed automatic transmission. It delivers a quick acceleration, smooth and sharp shifts, and crisp handling. Its interior boasts of its noise-insulated cabin and its comfortable and supportive seating. When it comes to safety, the 2019 Mazda 3 was given the highest rating of Good in all six crash tests by the IIHS.
- 2018 Honda Civic – The Honda Civic made its way again into the list of the best cars to find on any used car lot, but this time it's for the 2018 model year. It is because the 2018 Honda Civic is a well-rounded car that offers a lot of daily practicality and a great driving experience. It is powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and it has been commended for delivering both impressive acceleration and an efficient fuel economy. It also boasts of its spacious cabin, smart storage solutions, and impressive technology features.
- 2019 Toyota Corolla – The 2019 Toyota Corolla makes a great used car thanks to its excellent reliability ratings. Its base trim is equipped with a 132-horsepower 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine. It might not be as powerful as its competitors’ engines but people still choose it for its reliability, its sleek appearance, and its great safety features. Its interior offers a roomy cabin with enough room to stretch out and a decent headroom. It has lots of active safety features that include forward-collision warnings with automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control, active lane control, road sign detection, and automatic high beams. It's famous reliability alone makes it worthy of being one of the best 2020 cars to find on any used car lot
- 2019 Volkswagen Jetta – This fully-redesigned Volkswagen Jetta base trim is powered with a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 147 horsepower which is sufficient for your daily commute. The base trim also comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission. It offers a comfortable, quiet ride and is responsive at city speeds. The Jetta with its base engine provides great EPA-estimated fuel efficiency with 30 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway. As for its interior, it offers a contemporary cabin and a generous passenger space. It also has a responsive touchscreen infotainment system and several driver assists features.
- 2018 Acura ILX – One of the least expensive cars in the luxury small car category, the 2018 Acura ILX makes a decent used car worthy of your consideration. It is equipped with a 2.4L I-4 rated at 201 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque mated to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. It delivers a quiet and refined road experience as it muffles the outside noise effectively. It also has an excellent fuel economy. Its cabin offers comfortable front seats and an ample amount of legroom for rear passengers. Its safety equipment and features include six airbags, stability control, anti-lock brakes, and a rearview camera.
- 2019 Nissan Sentra – The 2019 Nissan Sentra base trim is equipped with a 1.8-liter I-4 that makes 124 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque and its premium trims are powered by a 1.6-liter turbo-four creating 188 hp and 177 lb-ft. Its EPA fuel economy ratings for the base engine are pretty decent with 27 mpg city and 35 mpg on the highway. The Sentra’s interior provides a generous headroom for both front and rear passengers. One of its appealing traits is its straightforward and user-friendly infotainment system that features a 7-inch touch screen, a four-speaker stereo, Bluetooth.USB port, and Siri Eyes Free.
- 2018 Subaru Impreza – The 2018 Subaru Impreza comes standard with an all-wheel drive powertrain. It is equipped with a 2.0-liter flat-four that makes 152 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque. Its base engine is paired with a five-speed manual transmission and an optional CVT is available for the premium trims. The Impreza provides a smooth ride with excellent road grip. It also has a great fuel economy for its class, considering that it is an all-wheel drive. Its interior is impressive with its spacious front and rear seats that can accommodate adults. Its standard safety features include seven airbags, stability control, a rearview camera, and anti-lock brakes.
Choosing to buy a used car is a great way to save money. It is true that you can get more for less. At this time where the economy seems to be uncertain, it is always a good idea to be practical. Before this year, the used car market might be overlooked by many. But now, looking for the best 2020 cars to find on any used car lot has become a trend and a hot commodity. In fact, the used car sales and prices have jumped this year. This just means that more people are now discovering the hidden gems found on those used car lots.