How to sell a car in New York is relatively easy. Once you have the correct documents and a great system you can sell your car fast.
From how to perform successful title transfers to getting duplicate car titles, we'll cover that and more.
So, continue reading for complete tips and assistance on how to sell your car in New York and more!
How to Sell a Car in New York – What Paperwork do I Need?
Upon selling your car, you will need to provide the following papers to the new owner:
- Proof of ownership – Another word for this phrase, is the title. You have to sign it over to the new owner.
- The Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MV-902)
- Statement of Transaction
- The original paperwork from the lien holder that proves the lien has been paid in full or satisfied.
- A Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption (Form DTF-803), if this applies to your car sale.
But I Need a Duplicate Car Title
When you apply for a replacement title at a New York DMV office, you will NOT get a new title while you are there. The NY DMV prints all title certificates in a secure facility in Albany. Then they put them in the mail and they eventually reach the intended party.
Getting Duplicate Car Title Through Express Mail
You can get your replacement title by express mail. It will cost a bit more and you will need to sign for the delivery. Please note that express mail is not available between Friday at 8:30 pm and Sunday at 8:30 pm.
You can send an application by express mail but it will not lessen the time it takes for NY DMV agents to review your application or issue the replacement title.
Getting Duplicate Car Title Online
To order online
- If you are requesting this duplicate title, then you must be the owner of the car.
- Don’t forget to supply NY DMV with a current U.S. address. It must be on file with the DMV.
- The vehicle must have registration and title in New York State
- You can make no other changes to the information listed on the title certificate.
But you cannot order a duplicate title online if:
- If you have a title certificate that had undergone processing in the past 15 days.
- the title certificate is
- a duplicate title certificate request is made to remove a lien.
- you have the original or title or took time to amend the title certificate.
- the title is in the name of a deceased owner.
- have an order for Power of Attorney.
Click here to read more from the NY DMV!
To request a duplicate car title by mail
Send these items to the DMV:
- an Application for Duplicate Title (PDF) (MV-902)
- your proof of identity – NY DMV allows for a photocopy of your NY State Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID (please see Proofs of Identify for Registration and Title (PDF) (ID-82) for other acceptable proof)
- payment $20.00 payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
Standard mail address:
PO Box 2750
Albany, NY 12220-0750
Express mail address:
Duplicate Title Certificates
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
At a NY DMV office locating
Bring the following to your local DMV office for your duplicate car title:
- an Application for Duplicate Title (PDF)(MV-902)
- The $20 for the payment of a duplicate car title
How to Sell a Car in New York – What About Liens?
For a vehicle with a lien on it, you must give the new owner the original document from the lien holder that states there is no longer a lien on it. Be sure to keep a copy of this document. The new owner should give the original proof to the DMV. The DMV will then remove the lien when the new title certificate is issued.
What About Vehicle Plates and Stickers?
You want to stay away from penalties. S, be sure to , remove your vehicle plates, and your windshield registration sticker. Don't forget to take off the inspection sticker too. You should not allow the new owner to use your vehicle plates or stickers.
Be sure to take your vehicle plates to a NY DMV office. You can also transfer your vehicle plates to another vehicle. But you just cannot keep your plates .If you choose to do so, NY can suspend your driver license for a lapse in your liability insurance, and you decide not to transfer the vehicle plates or surrender them.
What About a Bill Of Sale?
Before you purchase a vehicle, or even another kind of vehicle you have to make sure that you can receive acceptable proof of ownership. If you don’t have it, you will encounter lots of difficulties when you go to register the vehicle. It will also be difficult for you to get a title certificate or a transferable registration in your name.
Proof of ownership normally includes a bill of sale. It also includes a ‘Retail Certificate of Sale' (MV-50) if you got the car from a dealer. It also includes a ‘Certificate of Title' (MV-999) if you bought the car privately. Both the seller as well as the buyer complete the bill of sale.
OK- What do I write on the bill of sale?
To have an acceptable bill of sale in NY, it should have the following:
- Date of sale
- Purchase price of car / vehicle
- Both the names and signatures of the buyer and the seller
- The year and make of the vehicle, boat, ATV or snowmobile
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) or the hull identification number (HIN)
- Need more information? Click here!
- You do not have to get a notary to witness the bill of sale.
How to Sell a Car in New York – Selling a Car Without a Title
NY allows you to complete a vehicle sale transaction without a NY vehicle title if the vehicle is model year 1972 or older. Vehicles, and cars that do not have a title, do require more documents to prove ownership.
If a driver is buying an older car or vehicle manufactured before 1972 or another non-titled the seller can complete a Certificate/Affidavit of Sale or Transfer (Form MV-51).
The seller must complete and fill out a bill of sale, as well as a Certification of NY Registration for Transfer of Non-Titled Vehicle (Form MV-353).
You can get the form at your local NY DMV office. Be sure that you as the seller bring and proof of identity which is specific for registrations and titles.
Need more help? Call the New York Title Services at (518) 486-4714.
Get Your Vehicle Ready For Sale! – Selling An SUV!
Many times, lots of SUVs are sold privately and successfully. So, if you have an SUV to sell in New York, check out some helpful tips we'd like to pass along!
1. Take the time to get your SUV assessed or examined by a professional mechanic.
You want to tell buyers why they need your SUV in their lives. So, you want to know what it s you are selling. Be sure that you have all of the information you need. Folks will ask you lots of questions and you want to be prepared.
2. Know your SUV's value.
Turn to Kelley Blue Book to get a value on your car. Once you know what your SUV is worth, you can price it competitively.
3. Know the assets your SUV has.
These days, SUVs are big luxury vehicles. They come with a ton of features that can entice someone in the SUV market. So, as you show your SUV, be sure that you know all of its assets and can operate them as well as show them to perspective buyers. You want folks to fall in love with your SUV.
4. Clean your SUV.
Take the time to clean your entire SUV. This will be a task, because of its size. So, you may need to either take small breaks while washing it, or grab a friend or family member to help you.
5. Make minor repairs if you can.
You've managed to keep your SUV in pristine condition, but somehow, there is a scrape on the side door. Can you go and get that fixed? For that dent in the bumper, can you get it repaired? If not, don't sweat it. But if you can get those minor issues repaired, please do so.
6. Talk about the gas mileage on the SUV.
Don't forget to discuss the great gas mileage your car has. You can talk about how the SUV is great for a drive in Upstate New York, as well as a ride in NYC. You want folks to love your SUV just as much as you do. Be honest, but do share how great of an SUV you have.
How to Sell a Car in New York- Sell it to Cash Cars Buyer!
Looking for a easy and convenient way to sell your car? Cash Cars Buyer will buy that car quicker than a New York minute!
- We offer cash on the spot!
- No hidden fees or gimmicks!
- Did we mention that we will haul it away for FREE?
- Once you enter in your car's specs, you'll get an instant offer fast!
- With over a decade of car buying experience, we are a licensed, bonded and insured company!
- We offer a three step method for selling your car! 1. Enter your car's specs. 2. Accept your offer. 3. Get your cash!
So, contact us today and let us give you the cash you need, want and deserve for that New York ride you have! 844-663-7286!