How to sell a car in South Carolina may be on your mind as a big question, but we have bigger answers!
From how to get that duplicate car title, to a successful title transfer, we’ll help you accomplish it all!
Our guide will also offer you tips on how to sell your car privately in today’s day age.
You can sell a car here in the “Palmetto State” and we’re here to help you do such!
How to Sell a Car in South Carolina – Selling Your Car The Right Way
If you hold the title to your vehicle and then you end up selling that vehicle to another person, you have to sign the title over to the buyer. You must also include the following information on the back of the title:
- Selling price
- Purchase date
- Odometer reading at the time of the vehicle sale.
Additionally, when you sell your car, you have to notify the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles SCDMV.
The state requires you to fill out the Notice of Vehicle Sold (SCDMV Form 416) and mail it to the following address:
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0036
“Completing this form does not show a legal transfer of ownership. It is intended for the protection of the last registered owner until the actual transfer of ownership is completed by the person you sold the vehicle to,” adds the SCDMV.
If the buyer of the vehicle is making payments on it, you must fill out Section D of the Title Application (SCDMV Form 400) that the buyer completes. You are now the lien holder for that vehicle. And state agents will mail you the title.
Once the buyer pays you in full, you must sign off on the lien and the buyer will have a clean title.
Using the EZ Title Method
South Carolina allows car sellers as well as car buyers to utilize a wealth of services online.
To sell your car to another South Carolina resident, South Carolina allows for the transfer the vehicle title and registration on the state’s EZ Title and Registration Online Service. This platform offers users an easy as well as step-by-step guide for title transfer as well as other transactions.
After completing this portion, you’ll then see an Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home (Form 400).
You can complete the Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home (Form 400).
How to Sell a Car in South Carolina – Getting a Duplicate Car Title
“If you lost your title, you may get a replacement. You may apply for a duplicate title online, by mail, or by visiting an SCDMV branch,” stats the SCDMV website.
Before purchasing your replacement title, you want to make sure that the state has your correct address on file. Click here to update your address.
If you’d like to get a duplicate title through the mail or in person, you have to provide all of the following information:
- The Title Application (SCDMV Form 400) form
- A document with the vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information.
- If you desire to mail your application, mail it to the following address:
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0044
Additionally, there is a $15 fee for a duplicate car title. You can make checks or money orders out to: the SCDMV.
“Same-day expedited duplicate titles are available in person only. There is an additional $20 expedite fee for this option,” adds the SCDMV website.
How to Apply for a Title and License Plate
If the buyer of your car is a resident of another state and has not or will not fill out the online title and registration transfer, that buyer will need to purchase new license plates. The buyer will also need to apply for a new title and car registration. Vehicle buyers have a maximum of 45 days from the date of purchase to title and register their vehicle.
In order to a new plate and title for the vehicle, the vehicle buyer will need to have the following items:
- The vehicle title with the previous owner’s signature or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO)
- Bill of Sale (providing that the title was issued before June 19, 1989)
- Lien paperwork (if a lien is on the vehicle and has not been satisfied)
- Liability insurance documentation
- An Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home (Form 400).
- Proof of the vehicle property tax receipt.
- Monies for the casual sales tax (5% of the vehicle’s purchase price, with a $500 maximum tax)
- The Title and registration fees. Click here to be transported to the SCDMV.
A special note from the South Carolina DMV: “Starting Monday, April 6, 2020, you will need to have an appointment to complete transactions at SCDMV branch offices.”
Need to find a SCDMV branch near you? Click here!
How to Sell a Car in South Carolina – Do I Need a Bill of Sale?
The seller of a vehicle has to sign a bill of sale. Additionally, the buyer must register vehicles with original titles that pre-date June 19, 1989.
A bill of sale is required and a notary must witness the signatures on it.
This must take place, when the title does not include the price and date of the transaction.
It is also important to note that the bill of sale must be an original.
The South Carolina DMV can give the bill of sale to all responsible parties.
Click here to view and download the bill of sale!
What’s the state tax on a vehicle purchased in South Carolina?
What About vehicles that are trade-in vehicles? How are they taxed?
Lots of dealerships will allow you to trade-in your old car and get a credit that can be applied to the price of a new car.
For example, you can trade-in your old car and then get a $5,000 credit for a car that costs $10,000.
So, you would only have to pay $5,000 out of pocket.
In South Carolina, the taxable price of your new vehicle will be considered to be $5,000.
The value of your trade-in will not be subject to sales tax.
In other words, you save on the sales taxes you would otherwise have paid on the $5,000 value of your trade-in.
How to Sell a Car in South Carolina – Making Your Car Appealing to Buyers
OK- so now you know what documents you need, in order to sell your car in South Carolina.
You also know how to fill out the papers you need to fill out.
So, now is the time to get your car ready to sell. Where do you begin?
1. First, know what you are selling. Become an educated seller. How well does that engine run? What is the amount of padding you have on your brakes? Whether you or another mechanic assesses your car, you need to know the shape or condition of your car. As a seller, you want to be able to tell your perspective buyers, what they are buying. You KNOW they will ask, so you have to be prepared!
2. For those minor dents, you can repair them. But for large fixes, you can just leave them alone. Lots of people buy a car only, to fix it up. Also, people buy cars to sell them.
3. For a junkyard sell, be sure that you know the value of your car. If you are planning on selling your car to a junkyard, make sure that you have a general value of what it is worth. You can get that value by visiting the Kelley Blue Book website and typing in your car’s information.
4. Be sure that your car is clean on the outside as well as the inside. Take a cloth and wipe down the interior of your car. Then, give your car a good exterior wash. Your buyers will appreciate the time you put into offering a great product!
5. Be negotiable if you have to. If your car doesn’t sell as fast as you would like it to sell, it could be a sign of the times. So, if you are able to come down a few hundred dollars, then do so. But it you aren’t, then you may consider selling your car at another time if you are able to do so.
Or You Can Sell Your Car to Cash Cars Buyer!
Looking to unload that car in the “Palmetto State”? We want it!
We are Cash Cars Buyer and we offer South Carolina car sellers a plethora of services that make selling your car easy, quick and convenient.
- Feel free to get an instant offer on your car, in the comfort of your own home, 24 hours a day, seven days a week!
- Once you sell your car to us, we will come to you, instead of you coming to us!
- When all is well, we will offer you cash on the spot!
- We offer FREE car removal from your location!
- No hidden fees and we handle all paperwork!
- We even buy cars with no car title!
So for a smooth transaction of your car sale, contact us today! 844-663-7286!