“Should I sell my car during Coronavirus (COVID -19) pandemic?” “Should I post an ad for my used car online?”
Selling a car during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic might present some challenges. If you post an online ad, will anyone call you?
Should you sell your car privately and offer in-person sales tours of your vehicle? I
In this post, we will explain what Coronavirus is as well as how this impacts car sales.
We will also offer some tips to ensure your safety during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic.
What is Coronavirus?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO): “Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.” Although a full recovery is possible, people infected with the disease can experience the following symptoms:
- high fever
- relentless coughing
- chest pains
- difficulty breathing
- tiredness (fatigue)
- headaches and more.
Additionally, individuals who already suffer from other ailments are especially prone to the disease.
If you or a loved one you know suspect that you have Coronavirus (COVID -19), please call your local health care facility or hospital immediately for professional treatment. Testing is becoming more readily available. You may need to discuss your symptoms with a doctor to get a test.
Should I Sell My Car During Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic?-
Basic Tips To Sell Your Car
If you’re thinking of selling your car during the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, you should still choose to do so. The coronavirus pandemic has created a temporary new environment encouraging physical distancing, isolation and cleanliness. While being away from others is not the ideal environment for selling a car, it doesn’t mean that your car won’t sell during this global crisis. Check out some tips we are offering, as you work to sell your car during this difficult time.
- Keep your car clean. This goes without saying, but we’re mentioning this not, because you don’t know to keep your car clean, but keep it extraordinarily clean. Don’t forget to wipe your interior down with disinfecting wipes and perhaps a splash of bleach on hard surfaces. For cloth seats and the carpet, a good vacuum of the areas will do, followed by a disinfectant aerosol spray of the area. For example, after you vacuum the mats of the car, let them catch some air and spray them with a disinfectant aerosol of your choice.
- Be sure that your car is in good condition. Not only do you want to focus on the mechanical condition of your car, but cosmetic condition of your car is important too. This plays a big role in a buyer purchasing the car.
- Get your car assessed. This may have to wait until the pandemic is over, because lots of businesses are closed. But if there is a mechanic in the family that can come to look at your car, allow him or her to do so. Sure, you may have to physically distance yourself from him or her, but get your car looked at. Even during this time, you want to make sure that you know what your car has and is.
- Get those minor things fixed. During this time of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, you can use it to fix up those minor imperfections on your car. For example, if there is some hood damage to your car, you can see if that mechanic friend or family member can fix it. They will certainly welcome the income during this time of uncertainty.
- Decide on a price. Once you have things fixed to your satisfaction and the car is looking great, decide on a price for the car. You may want to be negotiable about the price.
You Definitely Have Some Things Working for You
Make no mistake about it. The Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic has affected just about all of our lives. From our daily habits seeing interruption, to having to change the way we do business, we are all working toward a new reality.
When it comes to selling your car, you do have some things working for you at present. So, let’s take a look at some of them.
There is some employment happening. Lots of companies are looking to hire delivery, stock, and other jobs that require some labor. Grocery stores as well as pizza places and other take-out restaurants are hiring folks for jobs. Given such, folks will need a way to and from their jobs. A great used car is going to stand out to the person who is now working at the local grocery store. Despite the large number of layoffs, certain industries are seeing explosive growth and have to meet that need with quality workers. Those workers will need a car.
There is that $2 trillion relief bill. In March of 2020, President Donald Trump signed into law, a historic $2 trillion stimulus package. This was in response to many Americans losing employment and the US economy in turmoil, due to the devastating spread of COVID-19.
The measures include a $500 billion rescue fund. This means that lots of Americans will get checks of $1,200 for individuals while married persons will get $2,400.
With this “jump-start”, folks can pay for rent, or even pay for a car. You never know a person’s true circumstances. Now may be a great time to sell your used car.
Self-Employed Persons are getting money too. Even Self-Employed Persons are getting money. That $2 trillion relief bill will allow workers who have Airbnb businesses, Uber and other kinds of businesses to get money. This could mean that you can sell your car to someone who is creating a business of serving others.
You’ll find sensible car buyers. There’s nothing like a pandemic to make us all look at what is truly important in life. Given this global pandemic, we are all forced to look at our values and beliefs. Once we take a good look at our lives, we prioritize things differently.
With your need to sell a car, you will undoubtedly attract a more serious car buyer. You are going to be a magnet to folks who know what they want and go after it. Whether it be a grocery store manager who has a secure job now, or a business owner who now has a delivery business, your car ad will be appreciated by others who are working to make it.
Put Car Buyers At Ease
OK- so in the midst of this Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, you have a car to sell. The job here is to help potential buyers feel at ease, with the car you are selling. Check out some tips you can implement into your sale.
- Acknowledge the pandemic in the ad. You want to let buyers know that you are aware of the world’s global crisis. So, you want to acknowledge the Coronavirus pandemic in the ad. For example, your opening paragraph could be something to this effect: “Thank you for viewing my ad for this car I am selling. I know we are facing a Coronavirus global pandemic now. But I assure you that I am offering a quality used car for sale.”
- Share with buyers, why they need your car. Once you have acknowledged the crisis, you may want to appeal those who are working in those in-demand fields right now. From medical care professionals, to grocery store workers, you want to talk to those who are employed, and may need a quality ride.
- Discuss how clean your car is. Make sure that you are putting buyer’s minds at ease. Talk about how you have taken extra precautions to clean your car and disinfect it. You may even want to post video of you cleaning the car and spraying it with disinfecting spray.
- Discuss your car’s gas mileage. During this global pandemic, folks are filling up their tanks with only $10 or $15. Why? Because gas is about $1.44 now. Gas prices are very low and for someone to fill up a car to get back and forth to work is not going to be expensive. It may be this way for some time now. So, let your buyer know that once they purchase your car, they will not have to spend lots of money to fuel it.
- Share a personal experience with your buyer. During a time a crisis, we can all use some comforting words. So, if you have a comforting or even a funny story you can share about the car with buyers, now is the time to do so. During this Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, you want to put a frazzled mind at ease.
- Provide a vehicle history report. Lots of times during a crisis, we see scams from all over the place. Your perspective car buyer needs to see an honest, trustworthy and wonderful car seller. To do this, offer the buyer a vehicle history report. You can click here and get one.
Don’t Forget the Basics!
As you prepare your car sale during this Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, don’t forget the basics.
- Make sure that you have your car title. We are stressed enough. So, you want to be a seller who has it all together. Don’t forget to have your car title and all other paperwork that you need to sell your car.
- Be sure you know how to do a title transfer in your state. Once you have the car title, be sure that you know how to transfer it to the new owner. You have to think like a car seller and believe that you will sell your car. The way to do this, is to prepare and have things in order, such as the title transfer.
- You can call a junkyard if you want to. Be sure that you call ahead if you are thinking of selling your car to a junkyard, because you need some quick cash. Since they are not an essential business, they may not be open.
Should I Sell My Car During Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic?
OK, so since the name of the game is social distancing, or physical distancing, it’s time to let that online car ad work for you and work hard! No, you cannot meet with a group of people to show your car, but you can still get the sale. So, check out our tips!
- Get at least 10 good pics ready to post. You want to make sure that you take pics from all angles of your car. Folks are at home these days and doing lots of online shopping. So, take the time to entice them and get them to call you fast, with focused and fantastic pics of your car!
- Give a detailed description of your car. For the car buyer who is getting a government check from a stimulus package, or has a great job delivering pizzas now, they need a good ride. Tell them why they need YOUR ride. Write an honest, upbeat and detailed description of your car. If you have a new sound system in the car share that! Got new tires? tell that! You want folks who need a car to buy YOUR car!
- Post your car ad to at least three online marketplaces. You can opt to post your car ad on Craigslist, Facebook, Autotrader or even another site. Aim for about three so you have lots of exposure.
- Remind car buyers about how clean your car is. We are in the midst of a Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. So, you need to remind your perspective buyers that your car is the cleanest out there. One of your photos may need to be of you cleaning your car!
Should I Sell My Car During Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic?
Tough times don’t last. Tough people do. If you believe that you will sell your car and you work to sell it, then a sale is inevitable.
Sure, it may take a bit of time to sell it, but you will sell it. During these tough times it’s important to believe in yourself and your ability to sell your car.
Yes, lots of unemployment is around us. The TV news and radio shows will have you feeling sad, hopeless and depressed. Sometimes, it helps to stay informed, while other times, you have to turn off the media and focus on the task at hand. For you, it’s selling a car during a global pandemic. You can do it and you will do it! Just believe in your ability, put in the work and watch a sale happen when you least expect it!
Good luck and happy selling (even during this difficult time for ALL of us)!