What’s a junk car? Basically, junk cars are vehicles that are damaged and/or old enough to qualify to be sold into parts, rather than as an entire unit.
It would make more sense to pick apart a junk car and sell those parts, as opposed to spending money to get the entire vehicle fixed. Some of the most common issues that contribute to your vehicle qualifying as a junk car include:
- Damage – the vehicle has endured serious deterioration with significant and vital parts missing, damaged, mingled or beyond repair (i.e. the tires, motor, engine or transmission)
- Paperwork that is missing – the vehicle’s title & registration have been lost, damaged or destroyed.
- Inoperable the vehicle is not able to be driven, due to a multitude of problems and issues.
In the paragraphs that follow, get the gist of selling junk cars and learn how you can make “big” money from the sale of yours!
Selling My Cars in My Area – Get That Car Ready for Sale!
OK, so you have decided to sell your car and pick it apart and sell the parts! Now, comes the work. You have to get that car ready for sale! So, what do you do and where do you begin? Check out our list of “to dos” for some helpful tips!
- Remove all belongings out of the car. Since you are getting rid of the car, you want to make sure that your personal stuff doesn’t go with the car! So, make it a point to comb the backseats, interior console and the glove compartment. WE store bags, money and other items in those areas!
- Make a list of what you are selling! Get with that mechanic friend or family member. Then, carefully remove the parts from your car. Evaluate them and find out what you will sell and what you will send to get recycled.
- Congratulations! You now know what you’re selling and what will be recycled! Time to move onto the next phase!
Selling Junk Cars for Cash – What Are Junk Cars Selling For?
So, you’ve decided to sell your junk car. Now it’s time to do the research to ensure you can get the most money for yours! So, once you decide to sell your junk car for cash, you need to investigate to see what junk cars are selling for.
Your first order of business would be to check out online marketplaces such as Craigslist and Facebook. What are other people selling their junk cars for? What cars are similar to your make, model and year?
Once you decide to pick your car apart and sell the parts You need to see the going rates on those parts! This requires you to put on that “detective’s cap” and get to searching! Is that engine or that starter in good order? What is the going rate for an engine that is similar to yours?
You need to have as much data and information as you can, to make sure you have a price point that will garner a profit. Take out a sheet of paper and make a list of the information you find.
Selling Junk Cars Without Title
If you can’t find the title to your car, your first option is to head to your local DMV or department of motor vehicles in your state. You need that car title! You can apply for a duplicate car title and get it in the mail in a matter of weeks.
Don't forget that you also have to pay a fee and there is some online and/or leg work that goes into getting that duplicate car title. Lots of places and buyers are not interested in a junk car that doesn’t have a title. So, get that title.
If for some reason you cannot get the title to your car, the next best bet is to have your valid and current picture ID as well as the car registration for the junk car.
As a junk car seller, your objective is to prove you are the rightful owner of the junk car. You may or may not be able to sell your car without the title. But it’s a good idea to pay the money and spend the time to get a duplicate car title.
Selling Junk Cars Online – What About Selling Junk Cars on Craigslist?
The lure of selling online grabs all of us, if we have something to sell. The same holds true with people who want to sell a junk car. From sites such as eBay, Craigslist and Facebook, you can see that there is definitely no shortage of cars and car parts or sale!
So, how do you get into selling your car’s parts in the online marketplace? Check out some helpful hints we offer!
- Check out where you want to sell your car. Do you want to sell it on eBay and offer local pickup or free shipping? Do you think you’ll have a quick sale of those car parts on Craigslist or Facebook? Come up with a plan as to where you want to sell your car’s parts!
- Gather up all of the parts you are selling. You made your list and now you have to begin to photograph all of those parts.
- Once you have that plan, begin taking great photos. They don’t have to be professional, but they should be of good quality and sharp. You may even what to get a white background, since those photos with white backgrounds seem to come out best. You should aim to have six to eight quality pictures of each part you are selling.
- Moving on, make sure that each part has a description. You want to take measurements, have model years and special features included in each listing. For things you’re unsure about, grab that mechanic friend or family member and get some help!
- Now, its’ time to post your ad! You have the descriptions and the photos. Create an inviting marketplace for your potential buyers with your online ad!
- Don’t forget to include an email or a phone number and be sure that you can access it on a daily basis. You want folks to call you so you have to make yourself accessible!
Selling Cars to Junk Yards
For that junk car you have, chances are, you have thought about selling it to a junk yard. This is viable option. Check out some of the advantages to selling your car to a junk yard:
- Cash on the spot. Lots of junk yards offer junk car sellers cash on the spot!
- You’ll get an offer quick. Once you describe your car to the junk yard owner, you can get an idea of what you’ll get!
- Free towing. Lots of junk yards offer free towing! So, take advantage of that!
Click here to read more!
Selling Junk Cars for Scrap – Top Price for Junk Cars Selling
For that junk car or pickup truck taking up unnecessary space on your lawn or driveway, you got options. And selling your car for scrap is one of them! Check out these “trade secrets” that will allow you to get the most money for your car parts!
- For car scrappers, the value is in the weight. When you call a scrap or junkyard, thy are not really going to care about that stereo system in your junk car that is awesome. You’re not going to get extra money because your former “pride and joy on four wheels” has a brand-new transmission. Instead, you will find that more companies than less, are more interested in the scrap metal value, rather than the “cool” components of your car.
- Make the money off of those parts! Since you now know that scrap yards are interested in your scrap weight, rather than that stellar stereo, pull that stereo out and sell it on its own! You should have already done this, based upon our advice up above, correct?
- Your location can determine your payout. Where you live, can determine how much money you get for your junk car. Like other commodities, the price for scrap goes up & down, month to month as well as year to year. Additionally, you will find that various scrap yards have different cars and vehicles that they’re interested in buying. So, whether it is for scrap value, to sell to a recycle center, or to refurbish the parts, scrap yard owners have their own agenda for your car. Another aspect to look at is, how far the tow truck has to come to get your car. Lots of salvage yards will pay you more if you are able to either drive your vehicle right to their facility or get a friend to tow it for you.
- Your vehicle's make, model and year matter. As you can imagine, a car that is newer will garner more money. So, if you are seeking big money for that car,you may want to shop around for a price that suits you better. “Scrap Car Yard Company 1” may not be interested in your car. But you may find that “Scrap Car Yard Company 2” is ready to offer you some great money for your vehicle's parts!
Selling cars for junk can be a great opportunity to get some extra cash. Just have a game plan and know when to ask for help when you need it!