You can sell your old beater in Pasadena, TX. Or you can sell your old beater and actually make some decent money off of it. Intrigued? Selling an old car to a scrapyard is a great way to do your part for the planet as about 80% of the vehicle can be recycled. However, selling your car to junk car buyers this way often means that you only get the value of the car's weight in scrap metal.
While it's a nice way to make some quick cash, it usually only turns out to be a few hundred dollars.
Taking your car apart and selling off the valuable pieces individually can net you a whole lot more. Let's learn about how to sell your car for parts here in Pasadena, TX. Read on!
Clean Out Your Junk Before You Junk It
First things first, make sure you don't leave any of your own valuables in the car.
The average American commuter spends about 54 hours a year sitting in traffic. That's not even including all the rest of the time that people spend in their cars.
Inevitably, with people spending that much time in their cars, stuff gets left in the cracks and crannies. Important things like receipts or even jewelry can get lost in the interior of your vehicle.
Before you junk a car, be sure to do a thorough sweep of your car to clean out any personal items. Check all the obvious places like the glove compartment, console cubbies, seat pockets, door pockets, visors, and more. Don't forget to lift up the floor mats and pull up the floor in the trunk or cargo area.
Don't forget less obvious places like between the seat backs and the bottoms. This can be a veritable gold mine for loose change. There also might be really old sticky candies or unidentifiable blobs with fuzz growing out of them, so be careful.
Get Your Paperwork in Order
Even if you're parting out a car in Pasadena, TX, you have to have a title. It's not legal to sell a car in Texas, even for parts, without one.
This is to protect against theft as it's harder for thieves to make money off a car they can't sell. It also protects buyers by ensuring them that they are buying the car from the legitimate owner and there are no liens on the vehicle still.
If you've lost your title, not to worry. It isn't too difficult to get a new one. Visit the local DMV with your identification and other appropriate paperwork to request a new one.
If you still owe money on the car, the lienholder's name will be on the title. You also can't sell the vehicle even to junk car buyers without taking their name off the title. The only way to get their name off is to pay off the loan in full.
Determine What Is Valuable
Unless your car is reduced to a rusted out pile of metal there will be parts on it that are more valuable than selling it just for the metal. However, you do need to know what you're looking for. If you don't know car parts very well, you may want to seek the help of a mechanic.
To give at least give you an idea of what to look for, let's look at a few examples.
- Tires: With the price of new tires, car owners are always on the lookout for used tires in good shape. If yours still have some good tread, you could garner a few hundred dollars from them.
- Rims: Rims are also valuable, particularly if you have fancy chrome or aluminum ones. Depending on the style and size you could earn up to $700 for each one.
- Airbag system: Have your airbags never been deployed? A new system and installation is expensive and car owners who need new airbags will be more than happy to buy yours.
- Air conditioning system: AC systems are in high demand so if yours can be safely removed, you can get a pretty penny for it.
- Motor oil and filters: You won't get rich off of this one but you can earn a few dollars while helping the environment, which is a nice bonus.
- Car windows and doors with electric parts: The easiest way to fix a car with a banged-up door is to simply replace it, creating demand for this part of a car.
- Audio system: Even a standard radio and audio system can fetch a few dollars. An upgraded system may earn you up to a few hundred dollars.
This isn't a complete list of the valuable pieces of your car, but it gives you somewhere to start.
Selling Your Car for Parts to Junk Car Buyers
However, the trouble with selling off the parts of your car is that it takes a lot of work. You have to research what's valuable and what is a fair price for each piece.
Then you have to list the pieces and find buyers for all of them. You could be waiting for months to find the right buyer for pieces that aren't as in demand.
Instead of doing all the work yourself, you can sell your car to us here at Cash Cars Buyer. We're one of the few junk car buyers who will offer you a fair price for your car and all its parts up to $15,135. Then we'll take care of selling them off.
All you have to do is take the money and go on your merry way.
Learn how it works today!