Selling a car in Arkansas may take a bit of time, but the Arkansas DMV has streamlined the process for you. Just as in any state, here in Arkansas, you need specific documents as well as paperwork that you need to complete. So, give a read of our guide that helps you with how to sell a car in Arkansas!
How to Sell a Car in Arkansas: Documents Required
Certainly tedious, many of the required paperwork and documents needed to sell a car in Arkansas, end up being more of a benefit to you! Check out what’s needed to sell your car in Arkansas.
Certificate of title: Located on the back of the original car title, is the “title assignment.” It’s basically an ownership transfer form that must include information from both you and the buyer. This information includes:
- Odometer statement.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure/ Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle: This document is also known as form MV 100-03. This piece of paperwork will help to combine or place together all of the paperwork you'll need to complete the sale of your car. Additionally, this form is an authorization form that needs the vehicle description, sales price, odometer reading, VIN, vehicle description, sales price, odometer reading, the names, addresses, and signatures of all parties included within the sale.
Bill of sale: Here in Arkansas you can create a separate bill of sale for your records. With this document, you are able to benefit from some tax credits in April. You and the buyer of your car must sign the Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure and Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle (Form MV 100-03) which can be found at Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration, in order for you to receive the tax credit.
How Do I Get a Replacement Car Title?
If you don’t have the vehicle's certificate of title, you must apply for a duplicate before completing the sale of your car.
- When you visit an Arkansas DFA office in person have ready the following for your duplicate car title:
- Vehicle registration certificate.
- Title Number.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
Additionally, there is a fee for a replacement title. Your check or money order can be made payable to the Department of Finance and Administration.
There is a processing time of about three weeks. But if you need a rush on your duplicate, you can get one. Rush duplicate titles can be requested on a vehicle without a prior lien, if the application is made in person using the following address:
Charles D. Ragland Taxpayer Services Center
1900 West 7th
Little Rock, AR 72201
Click here to get more information!
For residents who are out of state, those persons can download a title application form from here! Out of state residents can also call 1-501-682-7076 to request a form.
Don’t forget to fill out the address block where the title should be mailed. Once done, be sure to mail the signed application as well as a money order or check for $10.00 made payable to the Department of Finance and Administration. You must also include a copy of the vehicle registration certificate and applicable lien releases. Then mail your request to:
Department of Finance and Administration
Special License Unit
P O Box 1272
Little Rock, AR 72203
Click here to get more information!
Sell a Car in Arkansas – Vehicle Registration / Title
For a vehicle and title registration, the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration asks persons to fill out the application by entering all your details as well as the details about your car.
Then, you can pay all fees online. Once your application is submitted you will receive notifications with the email you gave, as to the status of your title.
When your application has been accepted. You’ll get your registration and license plate by mail. You will not get your title until all documents have been received and processed. For any help you need, you can call (501) 682-8381 during office hours; 8:00am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday. Click here for additional information and to connect with the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.
The following items are needed for your registration and car title:
- Insurance Card
- Federal Odometer Statement
- Primary Document (Arkansas Title, Bill of Sale, Manufacturer Statement of Origin, Out of State Title)
Additionally, the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration adds that you may also need the following:
- Proof of paid tax receipt
- Lien Contract/Security Agreement
- Current Year County Tax Assessment
- Personal Property Tax Number (PPAN) assigned from your county assessor
You must also have your primary paperwork as well car insurance card ready before beginning the process. Click here to read more!
How to Sell a Car in Arkansas – The Arkansas DMV As a Resource!
Here in Arkansas, your My Arkansas DMV is a vital resource for the sale of your car! Because Arkansas knows that citizens are busy, the Arkansas DMV was created to help bypass that long trip to the DMV. With the My Arkansas DMV, you can take care of such tasks as:
- Register a new vehicle
- Get a duplicate driver’s license
- Renew your registration
- Check your car title status
- Calculate sales tax on a car you just bought
- Transfer a vehicle’s ownership
- Order and buy a personalized license plate
- Pre-register your new car
- Pay any account balances
How do I Complete a Car Title Transfer?
Check out what’s needed to complete a title transfer here in Arkansas!
- First make sure that you sign the current title under the seller heading.
- Don’t forget to date it and fill out all required fields.
- Then, fill out as well as sign the Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title form.
- For any paperwork surrounding lien on the car, you just give that paperwork to the buyer.
- For a vehicle that is under 10 years of age, you must fill out an odometer disclosure statement and give it to the buyer. You only need to do this, if the control number on the back of the title is lower than 3003001.
- Then, fill out a bill of sale. Fill this out if the control number qualifies.
- Make sure that you fill out the Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Motor Vehicle. You can take this form to the Revenue Department in person. You can also mail this form to:
Department of Finance and Administration Office of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 1272 Records Unit
Room 1100 Little Rock, AR 72203
How To Sell Your Car Privately – Tips That Help with a Fast Sale!
Now that you have a good understanding of what Arkansas needs from you, it’s time to make that sale! So, where do you begin? Well if you are selling your car privately, check out some helpful advice below!
- Wash your car and keep it clean. Even though you have a used car you are selling, you want it to look “brand new” in a sense. This means, you want to wash it and keep it washed. You can even give it a good wax job too! Make sure that you vacuum the interior and give it a shine in there with a cloth. Don’t forget to remove any personal belongings out of your car as well as any loose change.
- Fix minor things on the car. If you have some minor damage on the car, you may opt to fix it. For the big damages, you can leave them be. Many folks buy a car with the purpose of fixing it up.
- Get a vehicle history report. As a seller, you want to be as transparent and honest as you can be. So, offer your potential car buyer a vehicle history report. Even if they don’t ask for one, just give that potential buyer one! Having a vehicle history report shows that you have nothing to hide about your car. It also shows that you are straightforward and trustworthy.
- Have a “cheat sheet” about your car. You know how you go to see a show and you are given a pamphlet about the performance? Well, have something similar for your car! You can type up a “cheat sheet” that includes the basics about your car. Have the make, year, model and mileage on your “cheat sheet.” These will come in real handy, after the 20th or 30th person has asked you about your car.
Or You Can Sell Your Car to Cash Cars Buyer!
You do know that you can sell your used car to us, right? As a licensed, bonded and insured company, Cash Cars Buyer, buys all makes and models!
We also offer FREE used car removal, an instant offer and more!
Here in Arkansas, you have options when it comes to selling your used car! Be an informed, honest and happy seller! And good luck with that car sale! 844-663-7286!