The average price for car roof panel replacement cost for most vehicles is between $975 and $1,050. This price considers labor costs ranging between $75 and $150 per hour and the OEM certified parts to ensure the fix is long-lasting and durable.
By finding out the sample car roof panel replacement costs and the steps to replacing your car roof liner, you can get a personalized quote for your specific car make and model. Keep in mind the overall replacement cost depends on the severity of the damage, location of damage, and the type of vehicle you drive!
What is a car roof panel?
An automobile roof, or car-top, is the section of the automobile that sits above the passenger compartment. This car roof panel functions to protect the vehicle’s driver and passengers from outside elements, whether it be cold weather, sun, or prolonged precipitation.
The car roof panel works to protect the occupants from sun, wind, rain, and other elements that can harm the driver and passengers. The different kinds of automobile roofs include the convertible roof, hardtops, sunroofs, T-tops, Targa tops, and vinyl roofs.
- Convertible – The convertible roof panel allows for an open-air driving experience with the option of adding the roof when needed. Unfortunately, the drawbacks to this type of car roof panel include the lack of structural rigidity in the vent of a crash. If the convertible’s roof gets damaged during a wreck, it can lead to a higher car roof panel replacement cost.
- Hardtop – A hardtop is a rigid form of a roof constructed from metal and is either fixed or detachable for separate storage in your car.
- Sunroof – The sunroof is a movable car roof panel that uncovers a window in the roof of your car, allowing light, weather, and fresh air into the passenger compartment. If you notice any issues with the sunroof’s motor or glass, it can lead to an expensive car roof panel replacement cost.
- T-Tops – The T-top is an automobile roof with a removable panel on each side of the rigid bar from one bar’s center to the next structural bar. The panels are made of safety glass and can increase user efficiency.
- Targa top – The Targa is a semi-convertible with a removable roof section that can let in sun and weather. If the width roll bar gets damaged during an accident, it can lead to a high car roof panel replacement cost.
- Vinyl – The vinyl roof is a vinyl covering for a car’s automobile top. Unfortunately, this type of structure lacks rigidity and protection, leading to a higher car roof panel replacement cost.
Car Roof Panel Repair Cost
Unfortunately, car roof panel damage can occur for any number of reasons – the most common being inclement weather or hail storms. Although you may have thought you did everything you were supposed to and kept your car protected, leaving your car outside during a hailstorm will certainly lead to a high car roof panel replacement cost.
Even if you checked your car for dents and inspected the roof after the storm, you may not have noticed any cracks or dings in the roof panel. Just because you didn’t see it right away doesn’t mean that it is not there – and this damage could spread over time.
At this point, your next step should be to call the insurance company to file a hail damage claim and prevent having to pay a high car roof panel replacement cost for weather damage. The only thing you have left to do in this replacement process is to wait for the official car roof panel replacement cost estimate.
Finally, you can get the official estimate for the car roof panel replacement cost and determine if you want to get the procedure done at the local mechanic or dealership.
Sample Car Roof Panel Replacement Cost
The average price for a roof panel replacement cost varies depending on the type of product and the specific kind of car.
OER Roof Panel $27 – $381
The OER roof panel is a reliable and quality replacement for your old roof, ensuring it meets the OEM look, function, and standard. This roof panel is constructed from durable materials for long-lasting use and complies with all industry requirements to meet necessary safety standards.
Dynacorn Roof Panel $72 – $945
The Dynacorn roof panel is tailored and specified to the certain model’s needs based on the construction and shape of the car. This roof panel is constructed for a reliable and quality product made with precise engineering to meet safety standards and performance standards.
Goodmark Roof Panel $76 – $458
The Goodmark roof panel is a good reproduction of the original roof panel you are trying to replace in order to save money on the car roof panel replacement cost. This panel uses high-quality sheet metal and is designed with the latest quality software and modern tooling.
This roof panel uses the same dimensions as the original factory replacement part, ensuring the panel has a personalized fit for security and snugness.
TriPlus roof Panel $82 – $97
The TriPlus roof panel is developed to meet the strictest of industry standards and provides the same parameters as the original part to ensure a snug and secure fit based on the specific kind of vehicle you own.
Auto Metal Direct Roof Panel $279 – $699
The Auto Metal Direct roof panel uses top-quality sheet metal parts to meet strict industry standards and meet the original parameters. Using the best OF gauge steel, this roof panel is durable for multiple years.
Car Roof Liner Repair Cost
Your car roof liner can significantly affect the car roof panel replacement cost. Your car roof liner, or headliner, typically ranges between $150 and $450 on average. However, the cost varies depending on your vehicle’s size, make, model, and year. It also takes into account the total cost of labor, which has an hourly price of between $75 and $150, and the materials required to complete the roof panel and liner repair job.
What causes a damaged car roof liner?
A car headliner can begin to fall apart for various reasons and can affect the car roof panel replacement cost depending on the extent of the damage and repercussions. Let’s see the main reasons why the car roof liner becomes worn down or damaged over time.
- Age – Wear and tear to the liner year in and year out can wreak havoc on the interior of your car. An older car is at a higher risk for developing imperfections, safety issues, and aesthetic concerns, like a sagging headliner.
- Glue – Over time, adhesive, polyurethane, or car glue begins to break down over time, resulting in a damaged headliner and sagging roof liner. If the glue no longer sticks, it can lead to a car roof panel replacement cost.
- Weather – especially if you constantly drive and live in a hot and humid environment, leaving your windows down overnight or while driving can cause excess moisture to pool in the headliner’s adhesive. This can cause the roof liner to sag much quicker, causing an expensive car roof panel replacement cost.
How much does it cost to replace the headliner?
The total price of replacing the headliner ranges between $150 and $450, causing the car roof panel replacement cost to skyrocket. The price depends on various factors, like the make and model of your car, the extent of the damage, and any other issues caused to the structure of the vehicle.
The labor prices of replacing the headliner vary based on whether you go to a specialist, mechanic, or car dealership. It might be less expensive to bring your vehicle to a mechanic who specializes in working on your certain car model, like a Ford, rather than bringing your car to a localized body shop that does not know how to work on your certain car. If you go to a place that has the replacement parts, it will cost much less in terms of labor.
In addition, the material and accessibility to the headliner cause a more expensive car roof panel replacement cost and liner repair price. If your car has special material used in the roof liner, it can be more expensive and longer to do the procedure.
Roof Liner Size
Lastly, the size of the roof liner can affect the price of the car roof panel replacement cost. Reupholstering a bigger car, like a luxury truck or minivan, will be more expensive than replacing the headliner in a smaller vehicle, like a sedan or Mini car.
The Bottom Line
By figuring out the average car roof panel replacement cost, you need to take into account various factors like the make and model of the car, the location of damage, the severity of the damage, and the total price of the roof liner replacement. The roof liner replacement cost is based on the accessibility, roof liner size, and repair location.
By taking into account the car roof panel price and the roof liner replacement cost, you will get an average price for necessary fixes on your vehicle.