The BMW 7 Series is BMW's flagship car. This full-size luxury sedan has been around since 1977 and it is still catching everyone’s eye up to this day. It is a good car that offers an impressive ride, smooth powertrain, handsome features, and a luxurious cabin. As impressive as it sounds, it is not without fault and sooner or later you will have to experience problems with its parts including its transmission. The BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost can go from $6,000 to $10,000 including parts and labor costs. The cost can vary depending on the model year, if it is manual or automatic, and other factors.
When you own a vehicle, it is advised that you have a budget set aside for its maintenance, repairs, and part-replacements – especially if you own an older car or a used vehicle. If you own a BMW 7 series and you are looking for details about the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost, then you are at the right place. Continue reading for the breakdown as we go through the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost and everything you need to know!
BMW 7 Series Transmission Replacement Cost: How much does it cost to replace a BMW transmission?
The transmission is a vital part of a vehicle that is mounted directly on your engine. It is the one that takes and converts your engine’s power to momentum which drives the wheels. It is so important that it is one of the most major and expensive repairs you can do on your vehicle.
The whole transmission system has many components or parts that are subjected to wear and tear and other issues that cause it to fail. At times, a transmission repair might be necessary but a replacement will be a better option since it requires a much simpler process. If the damage is also too severe, you will have no choice but to opt for a transmission replacement.
The BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost can vary depending on your unit’s model year and the type of its transmission. Transmission replacements is one of the most expensive repairs of a vehicle. It is costly because replacing a transmission requires a lot of work and a lot of time, from removing the old transmission from your vehicle to replacing it with a new unit. You don’t only pay for the replacement parts but also for the rigorous labor as well as other fees.
Transmission replacement done by professionals involves an operation that is very time-consuming. If you have a front-wheel drive vehicle, know that the transmission replacement process lasts longer compared to a vehicle with a rear-wheel drive because front-wheel drives require more intensive labor. The transmission replacement process could go up to three or four days to finish.
The process of replacing a transmission includes loosening the bolts, disconnecting the fluid lines, unplugging wiring harnesses, disconnecting electrical wiring, engine mounts, and exhaust system components. It also involves draining down the fluids, removing axles or drive shafts, and a lot more. It requires a lot of work and it is not just a simple do-it-yourself project. It is recommended that the transmission replacement – if your vehicle needs one – is done by a transmission specialist or by a technician at the service department of your dealership.
The BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost can go from $6,000 up to $10,000. This estimated cost includes the parts, labor and other fees. Here are some of the breakdown of the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost listed for each model year.
- For the 2010 and 2011 BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost, the estimated price can go from $6,647 up to $7,151 including parts and labor. The parts have an estimated cost of $4,660 up to $4,999 and the labor cost ranges from $1,987 to $2,152.
- For the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost for the model years 2012 up to 2018, the estimated price can go from $6,454 up to $6,944 including parts and labor. The parts have an estimated cost of $4,525 to $4,854 and the labor cost ranges from $1,929 to $2,090.
- For the 2019 BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost, the estimated price can go from $6,647 up to $7,151 including parts and labor. The parts have an estimated cost of $4,660 up to $4,999 and the labor cost ranges from $1,987 to $2,152.
- For the 2020 BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost, the estimated price can go from $6,454 up to $6,944 including parts and labor. The parts have an estimated cost of $4,525 to $4,854 and the labor cost ranges from $1,929 to $2,090.
- Older BMW 7 Series units have an estimated transmission replacement cost from $6,800 up to $8,211 including parts and labor cost. The price can still go up the older the BMW 7 Series model you own such as a 1997 BMW 740i that has an estimated transmission replacement cost of $8,975 to $9,370 including parts and labor.
The BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost is one of the most expensive repairs or services you can do on your BMW vehicle. To save a few bucks, you can try to do some research online and find the best place to find a skilled technician that does the work with less time and offers the best price. Be cautious in finding one and if one offers a cheap price, investigate more and be wary. If you visit a shop to ask for estimates, take a good look around the shop, pay attention to the appearance, and ask for any form of assurance like warranties and after-sales customer service.
BMW 7 Series Transmission Replacement Cost: Is it worth replacing a transmission?
The transmission is one of the most important parts of a vehicle. Without a properly working transmission, your vehicle can’t run. We might forget and overlook the other maintenance and services of our vehicle, but you cannot afford to ignore a transmission problem. It is something serious and requires immediate attention or else it will require a lot of money to be fixed.
If it comes to a point where your vehicle needs a transmission replacement and you wonder if it is really worth it, especially with the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost that can be too pricey, here’s what we can advise.
- Before you conclude that your transmission needs a replacement, you need to be sure first. There are times when you think that you need a transmission replacement but it turns out to be an easy fix. Problems might be caused by a faulty transmission control module or a bad connection between the control modules and the transmission components. It is best that you have it checked by a trusted technician to be sure.
- If the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost is more expensive than the overall value of your BMW 7 Series unit, then it is not worth it to pay that much to fix your vehicle. Selling your car to a cash for car company like Cash Cars Buyer is one of the ways to dispose of your vehicle and at the same time, make money out of it.
- Replacing your transmission with a rebuilt one instead of a new one can save you some bucks. Rebuilding your transmission can be time-consuming and will require intensive labor but it saves you money in the long run. Rebuilding a transmission is done by replacing all the worn or damaged parts of the original transmission and reinstalling it to your vehicle. One of its advantages is that you know what parts and what quality of work go into your transmission. Plus, you can test it before putting it back on your vehicle.
- Buying a used transmission from your local junkyard is also an affordable option if the BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost is too much for you. You can also do the purchasing online. Just make sure that you do your research to ensure that you are purchasing the right transmission for your vehicle. No matter where you choose to buy a used transmission, ask the shops or junkyards if they offer a warranty for it.
The downside of using a used transmission is that repair shops don’t usually give warranties for parts installed that are not supplied by them. If the used transmission turns out faulty after they installed it, there will be no protection for you. You can’t ask for a refund or a recourse.
BMW 7 Series Transmission Replacement Cost: What are the signs of a transmission going out?
The transmission of a vehicle is probably one of its most complicated components but it is also one of its most important parts. It doesn’t really matter if it is a manual or an automatic transmission, the truth is without it, you can’t drive your car anywhere. Since the transmission is very important and is very costly to repair and replace, it will be helpful to know the early signs of a failing one.
- Check engine light is on. One of the early signs that your transmission is in trouble is an illuminating check engine light. Many people tend to ignore this sign thinking that it is only caused by a minor issue. You have to remember that even if it is indeed caused by a minor issue, you still need to check it and correct it to avoid other transmission problems. You don’t want to end up paying thousands of dollars for a transmission replacement if the problem becomes worse.
- Noises coming from the transmission. Any noises heard coming from your transmission should never be ignored no matter what the sound is. If you hear any banging, rumbling, or grinding sound whenever you change gears, it might be a sign that your transmission is about to go out. A high whistling sound coming from the engine compartment could also be an indication of a faulty transmission. It is best that you have your vehicle checked when you hear strange noise coming from it.
- Manual transmission experiences hard shifting. If you experience hard shifting or when it becomes difficult for you to change gears, it could be caused by a faulty transmission. Shifters that are popping out of gear is a telltale sign, too.
- Automatic transmission experiences gear slipping. Another indication of a failing transmission is when your gears slip while you are driving. Gears slipping can also be a symptom of a low fluid level. If you encounter this symptom, check your fluid level to rule out that problem. If you still experience a slipping of gears, have your vehicle checked by a technician.
- Fluid leaks. If you notice puddles or stains of fluid underneath your car or on your driveway, take your car to a service shop and have it diagnosed. A leaking fluid is always a problem.
- Burning smell. If you notice a burning smell coming from your vehicle, it might be a sign that your transmission is going out. A burning smell is an indication that your transmission is overheating or your transmission fluid is burning. Have your vehicle checked immediately. Make it a habit to always check your fluids and top them off if necessary to avoid this problem.
It is important that you take heed of the signs or symptoms of a failing transmission as these indicators can help you prevent expensive repairs and part replacements.
BMW 7 Series Transmission Replacement Cost: Final Word
The BMW 7 Series transmission replacement cost can be expensive and the transmission replacement process can be time-consuming. That is why experts keep on reminding and encouraging everyone to take good care of their cars and follow the cars’ recommended maintenance and services. A little preventative maintenance here and there does not only help prolong the life of your transmission and the life of your vehicle, it also can help you save a lot of money.